Movies are more than entertainment. Little does an average movie-goer appreciates the fact that he/she is visualizing and hearing literature crafted by a team of hundreds or thousands. These are powerful tools. They are the posts of a civilization. Think about it, a million years from now, society will perceive us from the movies we make. Some are crappy, yes. But most are gems. Every human should experience them. Intelligence is comprehending experiences of the world around him/her with a sense of logic. Movies give us these experiences. Suburbs of Boston, Sizzling winds of the western ghats.. you may not get the opportunity to visit them. But these marvelous pieces give you a virtual experience that at most times appeals to our aesthetic and logical senses. We’ve collected the list of 10 movies that every intellectual person must watch.
- Parasite – A 2019 South Korean black comedy directed by Bong Joon Ho, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Han Jin Wan. This movie rightly depicts the contrasting difference between the two worlds. World of the poor and the rich.
2. American Wrestler: The Wizard – A 2016 American sports biographical film directed by Alex Ranarivelo. This movie is a struggle story of a boy who , runs from Iran to america to save his life and built a new one. This movie captures the human emotions perfectly. If you are feeling low or being bullied , you should definitely watch this movie.
3. Jojo Rabbit – A 2019 American Dark comedy-drama film written and directed by Taika Waititi. This movie depicts how a innocent child is led to believe that one race of humans are superior to others and his survival.
4. All the Bright Places – A 2020 American teen romantic drama film, directed by Brett Hale. This movie portraits how two depressed people help each other to move on and help to seek happiness.
5. The Shawshank Redemption – A 1994 American drama film written and directed by Frank Darabont. One of the best movies of all time. This is a story about friendship, heartbreak, cruelty, innocence, and finally freedom. Do watch it.
6. Forrest Gump – A 1994 American comedy-drama film directed by Robert Zemeckis. This movie is also one of the masterpiece released in the year 1994. Thousand of emotions brilliantly packed into one . This movie can make you sad .
7. The Pursuit of Happiness – is a 2006 American biographical drama film directed by Gabriele Muccino and starring Will Smith. Will smith acting as a sales person is just heart wrenching. Father- son Relationship and struggles depicted quite beautifully.
8. The Godfather – A 1972 American crime film directed by Francis Ford Coppola who co-wrote the screenplay with Mario Puzo. No movie list is complete without this one. Best crime thriller ever made. Every character in this movie has done wonder on the screen. Marlon Brando and Al Pacino have literally created magic.
9. Schindler’s List – A 1993 American historical drama film directed and produced by Steven Spielberg. Schindler and Stern create “Schindler’s List” – a list of about 850 people to be transferred to Brünnlitz and thus saved from transport to Auschwitz.
10. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – A 2004 American science fiction romantic drama film written by Charlie Kaufman and directed by Michel Gondry. It follows an estranged couple who have erased each other from their memories.