Pelé is considered one of the greatest football players of all times mainly because of the sheer number of goals he scored.
According to the IFFHS, Pelé is the most successful league goal-scorer in the world– he scored 1,281 goals in 1,363 games, including unofficial friendlies and tour games. He is the only player ever to win the FIFA World Cup three times, in 1958, 1962 and 1970. He is the all-time leading goalscorer for the Brazilian national team with 77 goals in 92 games.
- First of all Pele didn’t score 1283 goals, 526 of those goals came in unofficial friendlies and tour games. He even counted games he played for the Sixth Coast Guard in the military competition. He officially only scored 757 goals in 812 games still pretty impressive right? NOT
- Why? Because If you look at the score sheet you will notice how skewed some of these scores are in games that Pele scored more than 3 goals. You can see his team dominating their opponents with scores like 11-0.
3. If you look at the clubs they are against you will probably notice Nacional, Juventus and Botafogo but those aren’t the actual club giants from Uruguay or Italy, they are clubs with the same name that played in Campeonato Paulista a local regional tournament.
4. Before 1971 Santos played in Campeonato Paulista a regional tournament, as the OFFICIAL Brazilian national league didn’t exist yet. 470 of Pele’s goals came against weak and pathetic opposition in a local competition.
5. When he actually played in the genuine top flight competition for Santos he managed to score just 34 goals in 84 games with a strike rate of just 0.4 goals per game which is horrendous. Pele is closer to Giroud than he is to Messi who btw had a strike rate of 0.44 at arsenal
6. Most WC goals – Klose, 16 for Brazil – Ronaldo, 15
Most all-star team appearances – Lahm & Beckenbauer, 3 for Brazil – Djalma Santos, 3
Most goals in a single WC campaign – Fontaine 13 (1958) for Brazil – Ademir & Ronaldo, 8 (1950/2002)
Most WC wins – Cafu, 16
Where is Pele?
7. Pele was outperformed or outscored in every single world cup he has played 1958 Just Fontaine 13 goals | Pele 6 goals
1962 Six players tied for 4 goals | Pele 1 goal
1966 Eusébio 9 goals | Pele 1 goal
1970 Gerd Müller 10 goals | Pele 4 goals
8. In fact, when Brazil won 3 world cups from 1958 to 1970 Pele was their topscorer just once (1958) and won only one goldenball (1970). Didi won the golden ball in 1958 and Garrincha in 1962 who carried the Brazilian NT on his back when Pele was injured
9. people always say how Pele won 3 WCs while Messi won 0 so he must be better but never mention that Pele played with historic teammates (more on that) and the best national side in world cup history who were so good they didn’t even need Pele in 1962 when Brazil won their 2nd WC.
10. Onto his teammates, when Pele made a list of 125 greatest footballers in 2004 he didn’t include most of his teammates who didn’t just help him win 3 world cups but outperformed him too. Pelé shockingly ommited teammates like Garrincha (Inspired Brazil to win the 1962 WC) .
Vavá (Scored 3 goals in 2 world cup finals most in WC history) Didi (1958 golden ball winner) Jairzinho (Brazil’s top scorer in the 1970 WC) and Gérson who was Pele’s Xavi who said this about his exclusion from the list
I prefer a thousand times over to make the pass, rather than to score a goal.” -Gérson said in 1970. Disgraceful from Pele to not include him. meanwhile, Messi dedicated his Ballon d’or to Xavi in 2012: “I want to share this with my friend, he deserves it”.
After that, there are some videos showing the quality of football played at that time. You see it yourself and then decide. It’s pretty ironic for someone pointing out Messi to have only one skill have how many skills.